James keiller pottery dating
Sir James Dalrymple of Hailes, elected MP for the Haddingtonshire Burghs in 1727 was the 2nd.
Baronet of Newhailes, near East Linton, his father being the fifth son of Viscount Stair.
The last of the Earls of Fife to own the North Berwick estate was Isabel, Countess of Fife who lived through the revolutionary reign of David II.
In 1344, King David II appointed William Chalmers keeper of the port at North Berwick.
His son Sir Hew Dalrymple 2nd Baronet of Bargany and North Berwick adopted the family name Dalrymple Hamilton which was later altered to Hamilton-Dalrymple.
- 'The White Cockade' by James Grant During the eighteenth century the Royal Burgh of North Berwick was separate from the Westgait.
The harbour was at it's peak with foreign trade in the last half of the 14th century.
In the Exchequer Rolls for 1374, the customs duties paid to the Crown amounted to 115-12s-0d.
He planted beech trees at the east side of Berwick Law to celebrate the union.
A portrait of Sir Hew Dalrymple painted by William Aikman in about 1720 hangs in the Museum.